06 Aug 2019
Generic Name : ANASTROZOLE
Anastrozole is an aromatase inhibitor hormone that is generally used by women to treat breast cancer or metastatic breast cancer which may occur after the menopause period. Taken to replace tamoxifen, this drug acts as a hormone to lower estrogen levels within the body so as to decrease the rate at which the breast tumors grow in the body. This drug is also classified under ‘Neoplastic’.
- Anastrozole is to be taken as directed by the doctors.
- This drug is to be consumed once a day; at the same time every day.
- Drug course may last for up to 5 years, depending on the condition of the tumors.
- General Adult Dosage available:
Oral tablet – 1mg per day
SIDE EFFECTS –
- Hot flashes
- Sore throat
- Mood swings
- Hypertensive blood pressure
- Swellings in the feet
RARE SIDE EFFECTS:
- Difficulty breathing
- Bone fractures
- Swollen glands
- Severe nausea
- Liver conditions
- Severe skin reactions
DRUG INTERACTIONS –
- Dienestrol topical
Anastrozole has a major interaction with the drug Thalidomide while having moderate interactions with 17 different drugs.
- Provide the doctor a detailed and accurate medical history prior to drug prescription. Notify especially in case of heart conditions, circulatory disorders, stroke, blood clots, severe liver diseases, osteoporosis, or a high amount of cholesterol.
- Do not consume this medication in case of an allergy to the drug itself.
- This drug is only meant for women who are post-menopause and are not pregnant.
- Strictly avoid breast feeding while on drug course.
- As this drug may pass through bodily fluids, the bystanders/nurses are required to wear rubber gloves while cleaning up after a patient’s vomit/excretory discharge.
- This drug may not work as well if consumed in combination with any estrogen medication, as it simply reverses the effect on the estrogen levels within the body.
- This drug can cause an increase in the risk of having a blood clot or a bone fracture. Report observations such as numbness, severe headaches, lack of motor-coordination or extreme pain in the joints – to the doctor as soon as they are observed.
- Keep out of reach of children. This drug is not for men or children.
- In case of overdose, get medical help or contact a Poison Control Center immediately.