07 Aug 2019
Generic Name : HYDROXYZINE
Atarax is an antihistamine sedative that is used to treat anxiety or mental tension. This drug is often used in combination with other medications for anesthetic purposes. As an antihistamine that works by reducing histamine levels in the body, this drug is also used to treat allergic skin reactions, hives, sneezing or runny nose. Atarax’s sedation works by reducing the amount of activity that takes place within the central nervous system.
- Atarax is to be taken as directed by the doctors. Dosage varies depending on condition.
- This drug is to be taken with a whole glass of water.
- General Adult Dosage available:
Oral tablet – 50-100mg per day
SIDE EFFECTS –
- Blurry vision
RARE SIDE EFFECTS:
- Uncontrolled muscle tics
DRUG INTERACTIONS –
Atarax has major interactions with 74 different drugs.
MODERATE DRUG INTERACTIONS –
Atarax has moderate interactions with 423 different drugs.
- Provide the doctor with a detailed and accurate medical history prior to drug prescription. Notify especially in case of epilepsy, asthmatic conditions, glaucoma, heart conditions, stomach blockage, thyroid problems and difficulty urinating or kidney / liver disease.
- Do not consume this drug in case of an allergy to the drug itself.
- Strictly avoid using this drug while pregnant, to avoid severe health damage.
- Avoid alcohol while on drug course so as not to increase side effect severity.
- Don’t involve in activities such as driving that require complete alertness while on drug course, as this drug may impair thinking and reaction time.
- The older the patient is, the severe the side effects may be. Take precautions so as to reduce side effects by consulting a doctor.
- Keep out of reach of children.
- In case of overdose, get medical help or contact a Poison Control Center immediately. Symptoms of overdose generally include severe nausea, vomiting, or light-headedness.