Filter By Category
Generic Name : DONEPEZIL HCL
The drug is used with the patients who are suffering from Alzheimer. The medicine does not treat the disease but it helps to remove the confusion, improve memory and working of the brain cells. The medication works by restricting the formation of any enzyme which helps to restore the functioning of neurotransmitters. The drug is also seen helpful to treat other cognitive disorders like Mild Cognitive Impairment, schizophrenia, cognitive impairment associated with multiple sclerosis, attention deficit disorder, post-coronary bypass cognitive impairment. The oral tablets of the medicine are sold under the brand name of Aricept drug.
- Donepezil has to be taken as directed by the doctor and also depending on the severity of the condition and the age of the patient.
- The drug is not recommended to be used on children who are under the age of 18 years.
- Adult dosages: Oral tablet- 5 mg, 10 mg, 23 mg. Oral disintegrating tablet- 5 mg and 10 mg Mild to moderate Alzheimer’s disease- 5 mg every night. Moderate to severe Alzheimer’s disease- 10 mg every night
SIDE EFFECTS –
- Muscle cramps
- Poor appetite
- Weight loss
RARE SIDE EFFECTS:
- Slow heart rate and faintness
- Stomach ulcers and bleeding
- Stomach pain
- Trouble urinating
DRUG INTERACTIONS –
MODERATE DRUG INTERACTIONS –
- For patients who are suffering from liver disorders, the dosage of the medicine should be low as a higher dose can result in higher risk.
- The drug results in an increase in stomach acids which raises the risk of stomach ulcer and bleeding.
PREGNANCY AND LACTATION WITH DONEPEZIL:
- Use of Donepezil in pregnancy is not recommended as it is a group C pregnancy drug.
- Do not nurse while on drug course, as this drug may transfer through breast milk and may harm a newborn.
- The medication has the risk of blocking the bladder restricting the urination. The doctor should be consulted immediately in such cases.
- The patient with the history of seizures should try to avoid medicine as the drug increases seizures.
- Patients with slower heart beat must inform the doctor as the drug might result in lower or irregular heartbeat.
- Keep out of reach of children. In case of overdose, get medical help or contact a Poison Control Center immediately.