Filter By Category
Generic Name : DOXAZOSIN
Doxazosin is a medication which belong the class of drugs called alpha blockers. It is used to treat patients suffering from hypertension and high blood pressure. It is prescribed alone or with other drugs. The medication formula helps in a better blood flow by relaxing the blood vessels in the human body. It reduces the high blood pressure which reduces the risk of heart attacks, kidney problems and other strokes. The drug is also used to treat male patients who suffer from the problem of a large prostrate. In such cases, it relaxes the muscle of prostrate and also the bladder to ensure that the prostrate do not shrink. As a result, problems related to incomplete urine flow or urgency in urination are solved.
- Doxazosin has to be taken as directed by the doctors.
- Oral tablets are available: 1 mg, 2 mg, 4 mg, 8 mg, 16 mg
- Adult dosage: 1-16 mg once in the morning or at night
- Pediatric dosage: 1-4 mg once in the morning or at night.
- It is preferred to consume the drug at night.
SIDE EFFECTS –
- Upper respiratory tract infection
- Swelling (edema)
- Runny nose
- Abdominal pain
- Low blood pressure
- Irregular heartbeat or fluttering (palpitations)
- Weight gain
- Swelling in hands or feet
- Dark urine
- Easy bleeding or bruising
- Persistent sore throat
RARE SIDE EFFECTS:
- Persistent and painful erection of the penis
- Reduced sense of touch (hypoesthesia)
- Numbness and tingling
- Enlarged breast in men
- Low white blood cell count
- Rashes with purple spots
- Low platelet count
- Loss of appetite
- Hair loss
- Skin rash
- Severe itching
DRUG INTERACTIONS –
MODERATE DRUG INTERACTIONS –
- Sudden use of the drug leads to dizziness as the medication initially lowers down the blood pressure.
- Some of the other drugs like Cardura, Cardura XL and Doxadura should be avoided while on drug course as it may cause allergic reactions.
- Doxazosin should be consumed with caution if a person is suffering from cerebrovascular or any other liver disease.
- In case of elderly patients, the drug might result in dry mouth and difficulty in urination.
PREGNANCY AND LACTATION WITH DOXAZOSIN:
- No ill effects of the drug were seen in studies done on rats and rabbits in their reproduction.
- Do not nurse while on drug course, as Doxazosin may transfer through breast milk and may harm a newborn.
- The drug should be administered properly as it increases the risk of heart failure.
- Consumption of alcohol beverages should be reduced.
- Before taking the medicine, the patient should ensure not to drive or do any work that requires high level of cognitive attention.
- Keep out of reach of children. In case of overdose, get medical help or contact a Poison Control Center immediately.