Filter By Category
Generic Name : DOXEPIN
Doxepin fall under the drug category called as tricyclic antidepressants. The medication helps to treat patients who are having mental problems like depression or anxiety. The drug improves the energy level by relaxing the tension and helping the patient to have a sound sleep. The drug helps to maintain the balance of neurotransmitters in brain. The drug restricts the brain from absorbing the chemical substances which affect the mood resulting in less adverse mood swings and tension.
- Doxepin has to be taken as directed by the doctors.
- It is prescription drug and comes in the form of tablet, capsule, solution and topical cream.
- Children under 12 years of age are not permitted to take this medicine.
- Adult dosages: Oral tablet: 10, 25, 50, 75, 100 and 150 mg Oral capsule: 3 and 6 mg Solution: 10 mg/ ml
SIDE EFFECTS –
- Blurred vision
- Dry mouth
- Fast heart rate
- Low blood platelet count (thrombocytopenia)
- Low white blood cell count (leukopenia)
- Numbness and tingling
- Sexual dysfunction
SERIOUS SIDE EFFECTS:
- Suicidal thoughts
- Attempts to commit suicide
- New or worsened symptoms of anxiety
- Panic attacks
- An extreme increase in activity and talking (mania)
- Behavioral or mood changes
- Painful and urgent need to urinate
- Pain and bloating in stomach
DRUG INTERACTIONS –
MODERATE DRUG INTERACTIONS –
- Patients suffering from glaucoma should not take this drug.
- Severe allergic reactions can be caused due to the use of medicine like hives or trouble breathing. The doctor should be consulted immediately in such cases.
- Patients with urinary problems should not risk their condition by consuming this drug.
- Possibility of sleep related episodes like sleep walking, sleep driving, sleep eating, etc.
- Capsules and tablets should be protected from direct sunlight.
PREGNANCY AND LACTATION WITH DOXEPIN:
- Use of Doxepin in pregnancy is not considered very safe.
- Do not nurse while on drug course, as this drug may transfer through breast milk and may harm a newborn.
- The continuous use of the drug might lead to suicidal thoughts.
- Keep out of reach of children. In case of overdose, get medical help or contact a Poison Control Center immediately.
- The drug comes with a black box warning being the most dangerous as per FDA as it involves the risk of suicide.
- Since the drug leads to drowsiness, patients should not drive or do any activity that requires attention.
- It has also been established that the drug increase the risk of dementia in patients.