Generic Name : DIPHENHYDRAMINE ABSTRACT – Benadryl is an antihistamine drug used to treat symptoms of seasonal allergies and...
Benadryl is an antihistamine drug used to treat symptoms of seasonal allergies and hay fever, such as runny nose, sneezing, itchy or watery eyes, itching and hives. It works by reducing the effects of histamine chemicals in the body that are responsible for these symptoms. This drug is also known to be effective in the treatment of certain symptoms of Parkinson’s disease and motion sickness.
- Benadryl is to be taken as directed by the doctors. It is available as an injection, oral tablet, chewable tablet and even oral solution.
- In case of motion sickness, consume Benadryl 30 minutes before travel.
- In case patient is to use Benadryl to induce sleep, consume the drug 30 minutes before planned sleep time.
- General Dosage available:
Tablet – 12.5mg, 25mg, 50mg
- Oral solution – 12.5mg/5mL, 50mg/mL, 10mg/mL
- Intravenous injection – 10-50mg (at no more than a rate of 25mg/minute)
SIDE EFFECTS –
Diagnosis is usually recommended to –
- Thickening of bronchial secretions
- Epigastric distress
- Dry throat
- Blurry vision
RARE SIDE EFFECTS:
- Rapid palpitations
- Difficulty in urinating
- Confusion or intense dizziness
- Tightness in the jaw
- Uncontrolled moving of the tongue
DRUG INTERACTIONS –
- Sodium oxybate
- Potassium citrate
- Levomethadyl acetate
Benadryl has major interactions with 33 different drugs.