Generic Name : CEFUROXIME ABSTRACT – Cefuroxime is an antibiotic used to treat a variety of bacterial infections. This...
Cefuroxime is an antibiotic used to treat a variety of bacterial infections. This drug works by fighting against and preventing the spread of bacteria that are responsible for the specific bacterial infection present in the system. The infections it is used to treat may also be severe or life-threatening. Cefuroxime is classified as a ‘second generation cephalosporin’ antibiotic.
- Cefuroxime is to be taken as directed by the doctors.
- The oral tablet is recommended to be consumed whole, with or without food.
- The oral suspension liquid is generally to be taken with food.
- General Adult Dosage available:
Oral tablet – 125mg, 250mg, 500mg, 750mg
- Oral solution – 125mg/5mL, 250mg/5mL
- Oral suspension – 200mg/5mL
- Injection powder – 1.5g/50mL-5%, 750mg/50mL-5%
SIDE EFFECTS –
- Vaginal discomfort
- Pain during sex
- Unusual discharge from the vagina
RARE SIDE EFFECTS:
- Bladder pain
- Bleeding gums
- Bloody urine
- Difficulty in urinating
- Irregular palpitation
- Body swelling
- Nasal congestion
- White patches in the mouth
- Patches over the throat
- Brown or white fluid in vaginal discharge
- Yellowing of the skin
DRUG INTERACTIONS –
- Cholera vaccine
- Typhoid vaccine
Cefuroxime has major interaction with 3 different drugs.
MODERATE DRUG INTERACTIONS –
Cefuroxime has moderate interactions with 122 different drugs.
- Provide the doctor with a detailed and accurate medical history prior to drug prescription. Notify especially in case of allergies to penicillin, kidney or liver diseases, phenylketonuria, diabetes or colitis.
- Notify in case of allergies to any kind of cephalosporin antibiotics.
- This drug can transfer through breast milk; hence, it is recommended against breast feeding while on drug course.
- Do not take this drug with diuretics, blood thinners or probenecid.
- This drug can alter medical test results (especially related to glucose and blood sugar levels). Inform the medical examiner beforehand of drug prescription.