Generic Name : CHLORTHALIDONE ABSTRACT – Chlorthalidone is a medications drug that is used to treat fluid retention in...
Chlorthalidone is a medications drug that is used to treat fluid retention in patients suffering from liver cirrhosis, kidney disorders, congestive heart failure or steroid-related edema. Classified as a thiazide diuretic, Chlorthalidone prevents fluid retention by disallowing the body from absorbing excess amount of salt, which is one of the primary causes for edema to occur. This drug is also used to treat hypertensive blood pressure for the very same reason.
- Chlorthalidone is to be taken as directed by the doctor. Possibly accompanied by potassium supplements, the strength of the diuretic may be regulated by the doctor. Follow the doctor’s prescriptions strictly.
- This drug is to be administered (50-100mg) only once a day.
- General Adult Dosage available:
Oral tablet – 25mg, 50mg, 100mg
SIDE EFFECTS –
- Muscle spasm
RARE SIDE EFFECTS:
- Lack of urination
- Severe pains in the upper stomach
- Back pain
- Yellowing of skin
- Discolored urine
- Slurred speech
- Bone pain
- Low levels of sodium
- High levels of calcium
- Low potassium
- Rapid palpitations
- Severe nausea and vomiting
DRUG INTERACTIONS –
- Arsenic trioxide
Chlorthalidone has major interactions with 20 different drugs.
MODERATE DRUG INTERACTIONS –
- Calcium lactate
Chlorthalidone has moderate interactions with 673 different drugs.
- Provide the doctor with a detailed and accurate medical history prior to drug prescription. Notify especially in case of kidney diseases, liver diseases, asthmatic conditions, diabetes, lupus or gout.
- Do not use this drug in case of an allergy to sulfa drugs or a general difficulty in urinating.
- Co-operate with frequent medical tests in case of nausea or vomiting.
- Do not nurse while on drug course, as Chlorthalidone may transfer through breast milk and harm the newborn.
- Keep hydrated while on drug course.
- Avoid alcohol while on drug course.