Generic Name : CILOSTAZOL ABSTRACT – Cilostazol is a drug that is used to treat the symptoms of a...
Cilostazol is a drug that is used to treat the symptoms of a condition known as intermittent claudication, a condition wherein there is a lack of blood flow to the legs and ankles, causing pain while walking. Classified as a vasodilator drug, Cilostazol relaxes the muscles within the arteries to cause dilation and ease of blood flow. This drug also disallows blood platelets from sticking together and clotting.
- Cilostazol is to be taken as directed by the doctors.
- The oral tablet is generally taken twice a day.
- This medicine is to be taken 30 minutes before food, or 2 hours after.
- The effects of the medicine should be observed 4 weeks after treatment.
- Do not terminate the use of this drug unless advised so.
- General Adult Dosage available:
Oral tablet – 100mg
SIDE EFFECTS –
- Runny nose
RARE SIDE EFFECTS:
- Chest pain
- Heart flutters
- Body aches
- Bloody urine
- Difficulty in urinating
- Shortness of breath
- Swelling in the ankles or the feet
DRUG INTERACTIONS –
Cilostazol has major interactions with 66 different drugs.
MODERATE DRUG INTERACTIONS –
Cilostazol has moderate interactions with 130 different drugs.
- Provide the doctor with detailed and accurate medical history prior to drug prescription. Notify especially in case of liver / kidney disease, smoking behavior or heart diseases.
- Do not use this drug in case of a history of congestive heart failure.
- Do not use this drug while nursing as it may cause trouble for the newborn child.
- Avoid grapefruit while on drug course.