Generic Name : LORATADINE ABSTRACT – Claritin is an antihistamine drug used to treat symptoms of allergies and hay...
Claritin is an antihistamine drug used to treat symptoms of allergies and hay fever, such as runny nose, sneezing, itchy or watery eyes, itching and hives. It works by reducing the effects of histamine chemicals in the body that are responsible for these symptoms. This drug is also used to treat patients with chronic skin reactions. Claritin Eye (Ketotifen ophthalmic) is a different antihistamine drug used to treat itching in the eyes due to allergies and exposure to pollen dust; and is simply the ophthalmic alternative to this drug.
- It is to be taken as directed by the doctors. Drug use generally terminates as soon as symptoms clear up.
- This oral tablet is to be swallowed whole, once per day.
- General Adult Dosage available:
Oral tablet – 10mg per day
- Oral liquid solution – 5mg/5mL
- Claritin Eye (strength) – 0.025%
SIDE EFFECTS –
- Stomach pain
- Eye irritation or hypersensitivity to light (Claritin Eye)
RARE SIDE EFFECTS:
- Unusual palpitation frequencies
- Severe headache
- Light headedness
- Severe itching or swelling (Claritin Eye)
DRUG INTERACTIONS –
Claritin has no major interactions, but has moderate interactions with 55 different drugs.
- Provide the doctor with a detailed and accurate medical history prior to drug prescription. Notify especially in case of asthmatic conditions, liver disease or kidney diseases.
- Do not take this drug in case of an allergy to loratadine or desloratadine.
- Consult a doctor in case patient is using chewable tablets and has phenylketonuria, as this form of Claritin may contain phenylalanine.