Generic Name : CLOTRIMAZOLE (TOPICAL) ABSTRACT – Clotrimazole topical is an anti-fungal topical cream that is used to treat...
Clotrimazole topical is an anti-fungal topical cream that is used to treat fungal infections such as ringworm, yeast infections, athlete’s foot or vaginal itching (due to fungal infections). This drug is classified under ‘topical anti-fungal’, but is also used as a ‘vaginal anti-infective’. Clotrimazole Troche is a lozenges medication form of the same drug that is used to prevent the developing of fungal infections in the mouth and the throat in case of a weakened immune system.
- Clotrimazole is to be taken as directed by the doctors. This drug is not to be confused with Clotrimazole Solution which is generally used for veterinary purposes.
- It is a topical cream that is only meant to be applied on the skin.
- A small amount of cream is applied on the skin twice a day for 2-4 weeks.
- The lozenge form is allowed to be kept in the mouth to dissolve in over 15-30 minutes.
- General Adult Dosage available:
Topical cream – 100mg, 200mg, 500mg Lozenges – 10mg
SIDE EFFECTS –
- Allergic reactions such as hives, rashes, itching or difficulty in breathing
RARE SIDE EFFECTS:
- Skin irritation
- Peeling of skin
- Intravaginal blisters
DRUG INTERACTIONS –
Clotrimazole has major interactions with 23 different drugs.
MODERATE DRUG INTERACTIONS –
Clotrimazole has moderate interactions with 164 different drugs.
- Do not use this drug in case on an allergy.
- This medicine is not to be taken by mouth.
- Wash hands before and after application of the cream.
- The patient should not cover or tie up the affected area with gauzes or bandages unless asked to.