Generic Name : DOCUSATE ABSTRACT – Colace is a medication drug used to soften the stool for easing bowel...
Colace is a medication drug used to soften the stool for easing bowel movements. It prevents constipation as well as rectal damage caused by hardened stools. This drug works by facilitating the mixture of stool fat with water, thus making it easier to pass through the intestine and rectum.
- Colace is to be taken as directed by the doctors.
- The oral capsule is to be consumed whole with a glass of water.
- This drug will cause a bowel movement within 12-72 hours after consumption.
- This drug is not to be used for more than 7 days.
- Pediatric dose:
- General Adult Dosage available:
Oral Capsule – 50 -150mg (over the course of four doses a day)
Oral capsule – 50 – 300mg (over the course of four doses a day)
SIDE EFFECTS –
- Gas trouble
- Mild diarrhea
- Rectal irritation
RARE SIDE EFFECTS:
- Unusual palpitations
- Rectal bleeding
- Rashes around the rectum
- Severe diarrhea
- Stomach cramps
DRUG INTERACTIONS –
- Mineral oil
- Aluminum hydroxide / mineral oil
- Lanolin / mineral oil topical
Colace has no major drug interactions, but has moderate interactions with 10 different drugs, most of which are combined with mineral oil.
- Provide the doctor with a detailed and accurate medical history prior to drug prescription. Notify especially in case of a low-salt diet or a sudden change in bowel habits as of recent.
- Do not use this drug in case of an allergy to the drug like nausea, vomiting or severe stomach pain during the time of consumption. In case of a blockage in the intestines or an unchecked chronic stomach pain, do not consume Colace until after the doctor has advised for it.