Generic Name : DESMOPRESSIN (ORAL/SUBLINGUAL) ABSTRACT – Desmopressin is a man-made hormone that naturally occurs within the pituitary gland....
Desmopressin is a man-made hormone that naturally occurs within the pituitary gland. As it is a hormone that regulates the usage of water in the body, the drug form of the same is used to treat central diabetes, insipidus and bed wetting. It is also used to treat increased thirst or urination due to severe head injuries that may have affected the amount of the naturally occurring hormone. Desmopressin is classified as an anti-diuretic hormone.
- Desmopressin is to be taken as directed by the doctors. This drug is available in the form of oral tablets as well as nasal sprays.
- The sublingual tablet is to be taken an hour before bedtime. The tablet is to dissolve within the mouth over time.
- In case the preference of dose form is changed from nasal spray to oral tablets mid-course, wait for 12 hours after recent spray before consuming the first oral tablet.
- General Adult Dosage available:
Oral/sublingual tablet – 27.7mcg, 55.3mcg
- Nasal spray – 0.15mcg/inh, 10mcg/inh
SIDE EFFECTS –
- Dry mouth
- Mild stomach pain
RARE SIDE EFFECTS:
- Rapid weight gain
- Shortness of breath
- Low sodium levels
DRUG INTERACTIONS –
Desmopressin has major interactions with 20 different drugs.
MODERATE DRUG INTERACTIONS –
Desmopressin has moderate interactions with 90 different drugs.
- Provide the doctor with a detailed and accurate medical history prior to drug prescription. Notify especially in case of electrolyte imbalance, fluid retention, congestive heart failure, hypertension, kidney diseases or cystic fibrosis.
- Nocdurna sublingual is not meant for individuals suffering from psychological illnesses that cause unusual thirst, syndrome of inappropriate antidiuretic hormone secretion, extremely high blood pressure or heart failure.
- This drug is not recommended for individuals that take diuretics or steroids.
- Desmopressin is not meant for individuals that may have an allergy to the drug, or are suffering from hyponatremia or severe kidney diseases.
- Urinate once right before bedtime, in case of the use of Nocdurna.
- Cooperate with regular blood tests to ensure regular health while on drug course.
- Avoid drinking alcohol before bedtime while on drug course.
- Avoid tea, coffee, caffeinated drugs/beverages before bedtime while on drug course. Do not drink water the one hour prior to bedtime.
- Do not take this drug along with NSAIDs, antidepressants, opioid or seizure medications.
- While taking this drug, it is important to limit fluid intake to a very high extent. Do not drink too much water, so as to avoid electrolyte imbalances.
- Keep out of reach of children. This drug is not to be used for children unless authorized. Nocdurna sublingual is not recommended for children under the age of 18.
- In case of overdose, get medical help or contact a Poison Control Center immediately. Symptoms of overdose may include severe headaches, drowsiness, rapid weight gain or difficulty urinating.