Generic Name : PHENYTOIN (ORAL) ABSTRACT – Dilantin is an anti-epileptic drug that is used to control specific types...
Dilantin is an anti-epileptic drug that is used to control specific types of seizures. This drug is classified as a ‘Group I antiarrhythmic’ as well as a ‘Hydantoin anticonvulsant’. Dilantin works by controlling the brain impulses that are responsible for causing seizures and overstimulation. Dilantin is used to treat and prevent grand mal seizures as well as psychomotor seizures.
- Dilantin is to be taken as directed by the doctors. Report to the doctor in case the effect of the drug does not take place.
- The oral capsule is to be consumed whole without chewing or breaking.
- Dilantin chewable tablets are to be taken 2-3 times a day.
- General Adult Dosage available:
Oral tablet – 300mg (taken once daily), 100mg (taken thrice daily)
- Oral suspension – 125mg/5mL
SIDE EFFECTS –
- Exhaustion and drowsiness
- Slurred speech
- Twitching eye movement
- Lack of motor coordination
RARE SIDE EFFECTS:
- Irregular palpitations
- Mild skin rashes
- Swollen gums or mouth sores
- Easy bleeding or bruising
- Liver problems
- Sore throat
DRUG INTERACTIONS –
Dilantin has major interactions with 123 different drugs.
MODERATE DRUG INTERACTIONS –
Dilantin has moderate interactions with 510 different drugs.
- Provide the doctor with a detailed and accurate medical history prior to drug prescription. Notify especially in case of heart problems, diabetic conditions, liver diseases, depression, porphyria or vitamin D deficiency.
- Do not consume this drug in case of an allergic reaction to the drug itself, liver conditions caused by this drug or in case of the usage of delaviridine.
- Drug intake/cessation during pregnancy should take place only under the guidance and consultation of the doctor, as (in certain cases) this drug may cause excessive bleeding during delivery.
- Nursing while on drug course can be risky. Consult a doctor before engaging in the activity.
- While on drug course, it is important to brush, floss and visit the dentist regularly so as to avoid swellings in the gum that may occur due to consumption of Dilantin.
- Cooperate with frequent blood tests while on drug course to ensure regular health. DIlantin overdose can be fatal; overdose symptoms include severity of rare-side effects as well as shallow breathing, severe nausea or even fainting.
- Consult a doctor prior to using any other non-prescription medicines that may contain folic acid.
- Avoid alcohol or antacids while on drug course.
- This drug may render certain birth control pills less effective. Use condoms or diaphragms to prevent pregnancies.
- This drug may interact with several other drugs. It is important to provide the doctor with a detailed recent drug history prior to consuming Dilantin.
- This drug can lead the patient to have suicidal thoughts and tendency. It is important to keep the patient within a hospitable and familiar space where friends and families can make frequent visits to ensure good mental health.
- Keep out of reach of children.