Generic Name : HYDROMORPHONE (ORAL/INJECTION) ABSTRACT – Dilaudid is an opioid medication that is used to treat mild pain....
Dilaudid is an opioid medication that is used to treat mild pain. This drug is classified as a narcotic analgesic. This drug is used in combination with certain other drugs to form effective analgesic solutions and cough syrups. Dilaudid is generally used in place of other inadequate pain-relieving drugs.
- Dilaudid is to be taken as directed by the doctors. Do not stop taking this drug unless advised so, to avoid severe withdrawal symptoms on sudden course termination.
- This drug is not to be shared with another patient unless advised as such.
- Discard remaining drugs after usage, or after 90 days since the passing of the beginning of drug course.
- General Adult Dosage available:
Oral tablet – 2mg, 4mg (Taken every 4-6 hours)
- Oral solution – 2.5mL, 10mg
- Injection – 1mg/mL
SIDE EFFECTS –
- Mood fluctuations
- Tingly feeling
- Dry mouth
RARE SIDE EFFECTS:
- Shallow breathing
- Extreme mood disorder
- Infertility/Irregular menstrual periods
- Low levels of cortisol
- Lack of sex drive
- Feelings of fainting
- Serotonin syndrome
DRUG INTERACTIONS –
Dilaudid has major interactions with 109 different drugs.
MODERATE DRUG INTERACTIONS –
Dilaud has moderate interactions with 270 different drugs.
- Provide the doctor with a detailed and accurate medical history prior to drug prescription. Notify especially in case of breathing problems, a history of head injuries or brain tumors, seizures, mental illnesses, difficulty urinating, liver/kidney diseases, Addison’s diseases, problems with the gallbladder or a sulfite allergy.
- Do not use this drug in case of severe asthmatic conditions, a blockage in the stomach or intestines, or in case of paralytic ileus.
- Do not consume this drug in case of the usage of an MAO inhibitor within the 14 days prior to the date of Dilaudid consumption, to avoid a terrible interaction.
- Let the doctor know in case of the usage of sedatives such as Valium prior to drug prescription.
- Drug use during pregnancy can cause dependency in the baby and severe withdrawal symptoms.
- Do not nurse while using Dilaudid as it may pass into breast milk and harm a newborn baby.
- Avoid alcohol while on drug course.
- Certain drugs can interact with Dilaudid to cause conditions such as serotonin syndrome. It is important to let the doctor know in case of the usage of antidepressants or other serious medication.
- Side effects of Dilaudid can be observed more prominently in aging adults or those with pre-existing medical conditions, that may aggravate.
- This drug, if misused, can cause addiction, overdose, and even death. Do not use this drug more than is needed and avoid sharing it with another individual.
- Do not powder the tablet and inject it intravenously. Doing this can cause a severe health problem and can even lead to death.
- Keep out of reach of children.
- In case of overdose, get medical help or contact a Poison Control Center immediately. Symptoms of overdose can include slow breathing, unusual heart rate, muscle weakness, cold skin and even fainting.