Generic Name : DILTIAZEM ABSTRACT – Diltiazem is a medication drug that is used to treat hypertensive blood pressure,...
Diltiazem is a medication drug that is used to treat hypertensive blood pressure, angina and certain kinds of arrhythmia. This drug, classified under ‘Group IV antiarrhythmics’; works by relaxing the muscles in and around the heart, as well as the blood vessels. Diltiazem is a calcium channel blocker.
- Diltiazem is to be taken as directed by the doctors. Drug course is not to be terminated suddenly, but only when the doctor recommends so.
- The oral tablet/capsule is to be consumed whole. Infusions for this drug are also found, and are generally to be administered over 24 hours.
- General Adult Dosage available:
Oral tablet – 20mg, 60mg, 90mg, 120mg
SIDE EFFECTS –
- Mild rash
RARE SIDE EFFECTS:
- Slow/irregular palpitations
- Difficulty breathing
- Upper stomach pain
- Discolored urine
- Severe skin reactions
DRUG INTERACTIONS –
Diltiazem has major interactions with 76 different drugs.
MODERATE DRUG INTERACTIONS –
- Calcium carbonate
Diltiazem has moderate interactions with 446 different drugs.
- Provide the doctor a detailed and accurate medical history prior to drug prescription. Notify especially in case of kidney/liver disease, congestive heart failure or the usage of beta blockers or digoxin.
- Do not consume this drug in case of serious heart conditions such as sick sinus syndrome or AV block, or in case of low blood pressure or recent fluid build-up within the lungs.
- Do not nurse while on drug course as Diltiazem may transfer through breast milk and harm a newborn baby.
- Provide the doctor with a detailed drug history before consuming Diltiazem. There are several drugs that may interact with Diltiazem to cause harm to the patient’s body – such as medications used in anesthesia, benzodiazepines, beta-blockers or statins.
- Cooperate with the full program that involves Diltiazem – a good diet and proper exercise for the drug to efficiently bring about results.
- Cooperate with frequent blood pressure tests to ensure regular blood pressure while on drug course.
- Avoid alcohol while on drug course.
- Avoid grapefruit while on drug course.
- Avoid consuming herbal supplements that may contain St. John’s wort while on drug course.
- Avoid complicated activities such as driving while on drug course, as Diltiazem can impair thinking reactions and may end up causing injuries.
- Keep out of reach of children.
- In case of overdose, get medical help or contact a Poison Control Center immediately. Diltiazem overdose can be very fatal, including symptoms such as extremely slow heartbeat, severe chest pain, difficulty breathing or even fainting.