Generic Name : VALSARTAN ABSTRACT – Diovan is a medication drug that is used to treat hypertensive blood pressure...
Diovan is a medication drug that is used to treat hypertensive blood pressure in adults as well as children under the age of 6. Accompanied, often, by other blood pressure medications, this drug is also used to treat, as well as, lower the risk of heart attacks and heart failure. Diovan is an angiotensin II receptor antagonist that disallows the narrowing of blood vessels, so as to improve the flow of blood through the vessels as well as to lower blood pressure.
- Diovan is to be taken as directed by the doctors.
- Diovan is to be taken at the same time every day, with or without food.
- Diovan generally takes upto 4 weeks for full effects to be observed, but the drug course must not end unless advised to be terminated by the doctor.
- The capsule form of this drug can be mixed with a liquid for ease of swallowing.
- General Adult Dosage available:
Oral tablet/capsule – 80mg, 160mg, 320mg (Taken once daily)
SIDE EFFECTS –
- Symptoms of cold or flu
- Stomach pain
- Back pain or other joint pain
RARE SIDE EFFECTS:
- Severe difficulty in breathing
- Difficulty in urinating
- Rapid weight gain
- Irregular palpitations or extreme heart flutters
- Muscle weakness
- Increased thirst
- Loss of appetite
- Severe nausea and vomiting
- Breakdown of skeletal muscle tissue
DRUG INTERACTIONS –
- Potassium citrate
Diovan has major interactions with 27 different drugs.
MODERATE DRUG INTERACTIONS –
Diovan has moderate interactions with 197 different drugs.
- Provide the doctor a detailed and accurate medical history prior to drug prescription. Notify especially in case of kidney/liver disease, heart conditions unknown to the doctor, diabetes, severe allergic reactions to blood pressure medication or in case the patient is on a low-salt diet.
- Provide the doctor with a detailed drug history before using Diovan. Notify especially in case of the usage of diuretics, blood pressure medications, NSAIDs or cyclosporine.
- Do not consume this drug if pregnant as it can cause severe injuries and even death in the womb.
- Do not nurse while on drug course as Diovan may transfer through breast milk and severely harm the feeding newborn.
- Do not use this drug in case of an allergy to Diovan.
- Cooperate with frequent blood pressure check-ups to avoid a severe drop in the blood pressure due to the drug.
- In case of diabetes or kidney disease, avoid using this drug in combination with any drug that contains aliskiren.
- Avoid alcohol as well as potassium supplements while on drug course.
- Keep out of reach of children. This drug is not to be prescribed to anyone under the age of 6.
- In certain cases, this drug can cause a severe condition where skeletal muscle tissue begins to disintegrate. Report muscle pain or muscle weakness immediately if observed.
- In case of overdose, get medical help or contact a Poison Control Center immediately.