Generic Name : DIVALPROEX SODIUM ABSTRACT – This drug is used largely by adults and children who show symptoms...
Divalproex drug is used largely by adults and children who show symptoms of minor mania and migraine disorders. The drug is an anticonvulsant and is used to relax mood differences, aggression and unsystematic behaviors. The medicine is responsible for treating pediatric psychiatric disorders. Chemically, the medicine is made with a stable compound of two chemicals, namely Sodium Valporate and Valporic acid.
- Divalproex must be taken as directed by the doctors.
- Adult and pediatric dosages:
Tablet: 150 mg, 250 mg, 500 mg
SIDE EFFECTS –
- Inflammation in intestine
- Cold feeling
- Changes in menstrual cycle
- Unusual bleeding
- Pinpoint spots in red or purple color under skin
- Severe drowsiness
- Worsening seizures
- Swollen glands
- Flu symptoms
- Muscle weakness
- Chest pain
- Cough with fever
- Problematic breathing
RARE SIDE EFFECTS:
- Nausea and vomiting
- Mild stomach pain
- Mild dizziness
- Problems in walking
- Blurred vision or double vision
- Weight gain
- It may immediately effect the gastrointestinal system like leads to vomiting and abdominal pain.
- Flu syndrome and infections are other short term effects.
- Prolonged treatment may lead to disorders in nervous system like abnormal dreams, hypertension and hallucinations.
- The consumption may also result in liver failure.
DRUG INTERACTIONS –
- Glycerol Phenylbutyrate
- Sodium Oxybate
- Sodium Phenylacetate
- Sodium Phenylbutyrate
Divalproex has major interactions with 16 drugs.
MODERATE DRUG INTERACTIONS –
Divalproex has moderate interactions with 273 different drugs.
- Drug consumption must be avoided if there is an allergic reaction or pre-existing liver disease.
- Drug usage should be avoided in case of unfit urine cycle.
- Children below 2 years of age especially the ones who are suffering from genetic mitochondrial disorders should not be administered with this drug.
PREGNANCY AND LACTATION WITH DIVALPROEX:
- Use of Divalproex should be prevented to treat migraine headaches during pregnancy
- It is highly unsafe to breast-feed while consuming this drug because the drug might adversely affect the cognitive ability of unborn child.
- The drug can result in making the liver disease fatal so its usage must be under care.
- The medicine should not be prescribed to children below 2 years of age.
- Abruptly stopping the consumption of medicine might cause a life threatening seizure.
- Keep out of reach of children. In case of overdose, get medical help or contact a Poison Control Center immediately.