Generic Name : ESOMEPRAZOLE MAGNESIUM ABSTRACT – Esomeprazole drug is used to treat patients having problems related to stomach...
Esomeprazole drug is used to treat patients having problems related to stomach or esophagus like stomach ulcers, acid reflux. It falls under the class of drugs called as proton pump inhibitors (PPIs). The medication works by relaxing the stomach by reducing the amount of acid that stomach makes. It helps to benefit the patients by relieving symptoms like heartburn, constant cough, and problems in swallowing. By preventing the damage that may be caused due to acid, the drug helps to stop cancer of esophagus.
- Esomeprazole has to be taken as directed by the doctors.
- Oral Tablet Strengths- 2.5 mg, 5 mg, 10 mg, 20 mg, 40 mg
- Adult dosages
- Pediatric dosages:
20 mg once a day
1 to 11 years: 10 mg once a day
- 12 to 17 years: 20 mg once a day
SIDE EFFECTS –
- Darkened urine
- Difficulty with swallowing
- Fast heartbeat
- Skin rashes
- Sore throat
- Joint or muscle pain
- Loss of appetite
- Mood or mental changes
- Muscle spasms
- Loosening of the skin
- Sores and ulcers
- Tightness in the chest
- Unusual tiredness or weakness
- Yellow eyes or skin
RARE SIDE EFFECTS:
- Sleepiness or unusual drowsiness
- Back pain
- Hair loss or thinning of the hair
- Muscular weakness
DRUG INTERACTIONS –
Esomeprazole has major interactions with 13 different drugs.
MODERATE DRUG INTERACTIONS –
Esomeprazole has moderate interactions with 106 different drugs.
- This drug contains inactive ingredients which may result in allergic reactions. So a pharmacist must be consulted before consuming it.
- It is an utmost necessity that any medical history related to liver disease or lupus should be discussed with the doctor.
- Children show more sensitivity towards the consumption of this drug and show adverse symptoms like cough, throat infection and frequent fever.
- The drug has the risk of causing bone fractures in adults when it is treated for very long period with high doses.
PREGNANCY AND LACTATION WITH ESOMEPRAZOLE:
- Use of Esomeprazole in pregnancy may be acceptable only if the benefits exceed the risks involved.
- Studies in animal pregnancy have shown adverse effects on fetus. But no adequate studies have been found in humans to access the damage involved.
- It is not known if Esomeprazole transfers into breast milk. Preferable precautions must be taken during breast feeding.
- Keep out of reach of children. Reach for medical help immediately if any serious condition arises like severe heartburn, shoulder/chest pain, and weight loss.
- In case of overdose, get medical help or contact a Poison Control Center immediately.