Generic Name : EZETIMIBE ABSTRACT – Ezetimibe is classified as a cholesterol absorption inhibitor. This drug is used to...
Ezetimibe is classified as a cholesterol absorption inhibitor. This drug is used to treat high cholesterol. Often used in combination with other cholesterol-reducing drugs, Ezetimibe works by lowering the amount of cholesterol that the body absorbs at the border of the small intestine through the sterol transporter.
- Ezetimibe is to be taken as directed by the doctors. Consume this drug only as prescribed to avoid overdose or other harmful effects.
- This drug is generally taken once a day at the same time each day, with/without food.
- This drug may take up to 2 weeks for levels to improve.
- General Adult Dosage available:
Oral – 10mg
SIDE EFFECTS –
- Muscle pain
- Stuffy nose
- Sore throat
- Pain in the limbs
RARE SIDE EFFECTS –
- Breakdown of muscle tissues that may cause kidney failure
DRUG INTERACTIONS –
Ezetimibe has moderate interactions with 25 different drugs.
- Provide the doctor with a detailed and accurate medical history prior to drug prescription. Notify especially in case of illnesses or conditions such as kidney diseases or thyroid disorders.
- Do not use this drug in case of an allergy to the drug itself, or in case the patient is suffering from severe liver diseases.
- Do not consume this drug while pregnant.
- Do not use this drug while nursing, as it may cause immense harm.
- Inform the doctor of all the drugs being consumed so as to avoid severe drug interactions. Inform especially in case of the consumption of a statin cholesterol medication. Do not consume this drug with gemfibrozil.
- Cooperate with frequent blood tests while on drug course to ensure regular health and proper liver function.
- Follow the diet and exercise schedule that accompanies this drug. Avoid high cholesterol and fatty foods.