Generic Name : FAMCICLOVIR ABSTRACT – Famciclovir is a purine nucleoside that is generally used as an antiviral medication...
Famciclovir is a purine nucleoside that is generally used as an antiviral medication to treat various infections that are caused by the herpes virus. This drug is often used by people with HIV/AIDS that develop herpes infections around the genital, rectal or mouth region. Famciclovir is used to treat and prevent the furthering of genital herpes, shingles and cold sores.
- Famciclovir is to be taken as directed by the doctors. Consume this drug only as prescribed to avoid overdose or other harmful effects.
- This drug may be taken for as up to 1 year to prevent recurring genital herpes.
- General Adult Dosage available:
Genital herpes – 250mg (thrice a day for 7-10 days)
- Herpes Zoster – 500mg (every 8 hours, for 7 days)
SIDE EFFECTS –
RARE SIDE EFFECTS –
- Kidney problems
- Difficulty urinating
- Swellings in the limbs
DRUG INTERACTIONS –
- Varicella virus vaccine
- Zoster vaccine live
- Talimodene laherparepvec
Famciclovir has major interactions with 2 drugs and moderate interactions with 3 different drugs.
- Provide the doctor with a detailed and accurate medical history prior to drug prescription. Notify especially in case of illnesses or conditions such as kidney/liver disease, galactose intolerance, weakness in immune system, or severe lactase deficiency.
- Do not use this drug in case of an allergy to the drug itself.
- Do not use this drug while nursing, as it may cause immense harm.
- Inform the doctor of all the drugs being consumed and vaccines taken so as to avoid severe drug interactions.
- Cooperate with frequent blood tests while on drug course to ensure regular health and proper liver function.
- Take this drug on the immediate sight of genital herpes or cold sores.