Generic Name : FEXOFENADINE ABSTRACT – Fexofenadine is a kind of antihistamine which helps to prevent allergic symptoms like...
Fexofenadine is a kind of antihistamine which helps to prevent allergic symptoms like runny nose, itching in the eye, watery eyes, hives or rashes. The medication works by blocking the production of certain natural substances in the body like histamine which human body produces during allergic reactions. It is also used to treat a condition known as chronic idiopathic urticaria which happens in adults and children above 6 years of age.
- Fexofenadine has to be taken as directed by the doctors.
- Adult dosages:
- Pediatric dosages:
Oral Tablet: 180 mg daily
6 months to 2 years: 15 mg 2 times a day
- 2 years to 11 years: 30 mg 2 times a day
SIDE EFFECTS –
- Back pain
- Ear congestion
- Joint pain
- Painful menstrual bleeding
- Swollen joints
- Unusual feeling of tiredness or weakness
- Loss of voice
- Nasal congestion
- Pain in arms or legs
- Runny or stuffy nose
- Sore throat
RARE SIDE EFFECTS:
- Chest tightness
- Redness in the face, neck, arms
- Trouble in sleeping
- Shortness of breath
- Swelling and redness on face, hands, legs, feet, or sex organs
DRUG INTERACTIONS –
Fexofenadine has moderate interactions with 47 different drugs.
- This drug contains inactive ingredients which may result in allergic reactions. So a pharmacist must be consulted before consuming it.
- It is of utmost necessity to discuss any medical history related to kidney disease.
PREGNANCY AND LACTATION WITH FEXOFENADINE:
- Use of Fexofenadine in pregnancy may be acceptable only if the benefits exceed the risks involved.
- Studies in animal pregnancy have shown adverse effects on fetus. But no adequate studies have been found in humans to access the damage involved.
- Fexofenadine transfers into breast milk. Preferable precautions must be taken during breast feeding.