Generic Name : BUTALBITAL – ASPIRIN – CAFFEINE ABSTRACT – Fiorinal is a combination of medicines which is used...
Fiorinal is a combination of medicines which is used to treat severe headaches. Aspirin in the drug works by reducing headache pains and butalbital in the drug plays the role of sedative. Caffeine increases the effect of Aspirin. Butalbital relieves anxiety pressure and helps the patients to have a relaxed sleep. The drug also helps in muscle relaxation by improving the flow of blood in body.
- Fiorinal has to be taken as directed by the doctors.
- Adult dosages:
Oral Capsule: 1 to 2 capsules every 4 hours
SIDE EFFECTS –
- Change in balance
- Ringing in ears
- Hearing loss
- Fast heartbeats
- Unexplained bruising or bleeding
- Belly pain
- Black, tarry, or bloody stools
- Tiredness and weakness
- Skin reactions
RARE SIDE EFFECTS:
- Upset stomach
DRUG INTERACTIONS –
- Levomethadyl acetate
Fiorinal has major interactions with 76 different drugs.
MODERATE DRUG INTERACTIONS –
- Azilsartan medoxomil
Fiorinal has moderate interactions with 571 different drugs.
- This drug contains inactive ingredients which may result in allergic reactions. So a pharmacist must be consulted before consuming it.
- It is of utmost necessity to discuss any medical history related to seizures, family history, sleep disorder, liver diseases, bleeding problems, seizures, kidney disease, suicidal tendency, blood clotting, and skin rashes.
- Since this drug makes a person dizzy so activities like driving and others which needs more attention should be avoided.
- Do not consume this medication if you are suffering from porphyria.
- Take care of not consuming an overdose of the drug as it may result in death or liver failure.
- Patients should use this drug with food or milk in case it upsets the stomach.
PREGNANCY AND LACTATION WITH FIORINAL:
- Use of Fiorinal in pregnancy may be acceptable only if the benefits exceed the risks involved.
- Studies in animal pregnancy have shown adverse effects on fetus. But no adequate studies have been found in humans to access the damage involved.
- Using this medicine during pregnancy may addict the baby and result in withdrawal symptoms like constant crying.
- Fiorinal transfers into breast milk. The same can cause bleeding to the infant.
- Aspirin results in intestinal bleeding which can be dangerously fatal.
- The drug must not be administered to children who are having fever.
- Keep out of reach of children. In case of overdose, get medical help or contact a Poison Control Center immediately.