Generic Name : FINASTERIDE ABSTRACT – Finasteride is used by adult men for shrinking the enlarged prostate. This drug...
Finasteride is used by adult men for shrinking the enlarged prostate. This drug is consumed with other medications for preventing the symptoms of Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia (BPH). It helps to reduce the conversion of testosterone into Dihydrotestosterone (DHT) in male’s body. This drug helps in reducing urgency to urinate, maintain a good flow of urine, and also decreases nighttime urination problems.
- Finasteride has to be taken as directed by the doctors.
- Adult dosages:
Oral Tablet: 5 mg once a day
SIDE EFFECTS –
- Cold sweats
- Swelling in the lips and face
- Itchy skin
- Unusual weight gain or loss
- Dizziness and faintness
- Redness of the skin
- Breast enlargement and tenderness
- Skin rashes
RARE SIDE EFFECTS:
- Runny nose
- Decreased amount of semen
- Stuffy nose
- Abdominal and back pain
- Sleepiness or unusual drowsiness
DRUG INTERACTIONS –
Finasteride has moderate interactions with 13 different drugs.
- This drug contains inactive ingredients which may result in allergic reactions. So a pharmacist must be consulted before consuming it.
- It is of utmost necessity to discuss any medical history related to urinary problems, liver disease, prostate cancer, and infections.
PREGNANCY AND LACTATION WITH FINASTERIDE:
- Use of this drug is not recommended in females who are pregnant or lactating. The drug might harm the fetus or a breast feeding baby.
- The drug poses the risk of leading to a serious form of prostate cancer.
- Use of this drug in women and children is not recommended.
- Keep out of reach of children. In case of overdose, get medical help or contact a Poison Control Center immediately.