Generic Name : FINGOLIMOD ABSTRACT – Gilenya is a drug that is used in the treatment of repetitively relapsing...
Gilenya is a drug that is used in the treatment of repetitively relapsing multiple sclerosis in individuals with minimum age of 10. As an immunosuppressant, this drug traps immune cells within the lymph nodes, disallowing them from reaching the central nervous system – thus aiding the treatment of MS, not as a cure, but as preventive medication.
- Gilenya is to be taken as directed by the doctors. Consume this drug only as prescribed to avoid overdose or other harmful effects.
- Once drug course has been stopped, wait for the doctor to gauge any worsening of symptoms before continuing the course again, if needed.
- This drug can be consumed with/without food.
- General Adult Dosage available:
Oral – 0.5mg
SIDE EFFECTS –
- Back pain
- Influenza symptoms
- Pain in the limbs
RARE SIDE EFFECTS –
- Serious brain infections
- Chest pain
- Shiny nodules on the skin
- Blurry vision
- Liver problems
- Shortness of breath
- Sores in the mouth
DRUG INTERACTIONS –
Gilenya has major interactions with 382 different drugs.
MODERATE DRUG INTERACTIONS –
Gilenya has moderate interactions with 107 different drugs.
- Provide the doctor with a detailed and accurate medical history prior to drug prescription. Notify especially in case of illnesses and conditions such as chronic infections, slow heart rate, hypertension/hypotension, heart conditions, episodes of faintness, diabetic conditions, liver/kidney diseases, uveitis or asthmatic conditions. Notify the doctor in case of any previous history of consuming Varivax or suffering from chickenpox.
- Do not use this drug in case of an allergy to Gilenya itself, or in case of serious heart conditions, AV blocks, Long QT syndrome or any other recent history of heart conditions.
- Inform the doctor of all the drugs being consumed so as to avoid severe drug interactions. Certain arrhythmia medications can interact with Fingolimod lethally. Notify the doctor in case of any drugs that may weaken the immune system.
- This drug can harm a baby severely in case of nursing period or pregnancy. Consult a doctor as to the use of this drug during feeding and gestation. Avoid nursing while on drug course.
- Wear protective clothing, use sunscreen and avoid tanning beds while on drug course, as Gilenya increases skin sensitivity and may cause skin cancer.
- Avoid live vaccines while on drug course.
- Keep out of reach of children.
- As this drug can decrease one’s heart rate, it is important to receive the first dosage in a hospital setting.
- This drug can cause serious brain infections that can lead to disability or death. Notify a doctor as soon as possible in case of difficulties in speech, thought, motor activities or any other daily function.
- Report observations to a doctor regarding any worsening of MS for 12 weeks after the last dose of drug course.
- This drug can weaken the immune system. It is necessary to keep the patient away from infections in a sanitary environment.
- In case of overdose, get medical help or contact a Poison Control Center immediately.