Generic Name : POLYETHYLENE GLYCOL ABSTRACT – Glycolax is used to treat the problem of chronic constipation which...
Glycolax is used to treat the problem of chronic constipation which is why it is also known as osmotic-type laxative. It works in the body by softening the stool to increase the bowel movements. Further, it helps in increasing the level of water in the intestinal tract.
- GlycoLax has to be taken as directed by the doctors.
- Adult and pediatric dosages: Oral powder- 17 gm dissolved in 4 to 8 ounces of beverage Mix the powdered dose with hot, cold or room temperature beverages.
SIDE EFFECTS –
- Severe diarrhea
- Rectal bleeding
- Blood in stools
- Severe stomach pain
- Increased sweating
DRUG INTERACTIONS –
MODERATE DRUG INTERACTIONS –
GlycoLax has moderate interactions with 185 different drugs.
- This drug contains inactive ingredients which may result in allergic reactions. So a pharmacist must be consulted before consuming it.
- Avoid taking the medication if you have any eating disorders like anorexia or bulimia.
- It is necessary to discuss any medical history related to nausea, ulcerative colitis, vomiting, severe stomach ache, kidney problem or irritable bowel syndrome.
PREGNANCY AND LACTATION WITH GLYBURIDE:
- Use of GlycoLax in pregnancy may be acceptable only if the benefits exceed the risks involved.
- Studies in animal pregnancy have shown adverse effects on fetus. But no adequate studies have been found in humans to access the damage involved.
- It is not known if GlycoLax transfers into breast milk. Preferable precautions must be taken during breast feeding
- Use of the drug is not recommended if a person have bowel obstruction or any kind of intestinal blockage since it may lead to life threatening side effects.
- Keep out of reach of children. In case of overdose, get medical help or contact a Poison Control Center immediately.