Generic Name :ADALIMUMAB ABSTRACT – Humira is used to treat the pain or swelling caused by different kinds...
Humira is used to treat the pain or swelling caused by different kinds of arthritis like rheumatoid, psoriatic, juvenile idiopathic and ankylosing spondylitis. Also, the drug is used by patients having skin problems like Hidradenitis Suppurativa. Further, it helps in treating bowel disorders and certain eye conditions like uveitis. The drug works in the body by restricting a certain protein called Tumor Necrosis Factor (TNF). This protein is found in the immune system of the body that is responsible for causing joint pain, swelling and damage in arthritis. Use of the drug helps in preserving joint functioning.
- Humira has to be taken as directed by the doctors.
- Its use is administered by subcutaneous injection.
- Adult and pediatric dosages: Injection solution: 10 kg- 15 kg: 10 mg every alternate week 15 kg- 30 kg: 20 mg every alternate week Above 30 kg: 40 mg every alternate week
SIDE EFFECTS –
- Body ache
- Ear congestion
- Loss of voice
- Back pain
- Muscle ache
- Nasal congestion
- Pain around the eyes
- Trouble in sleeping
- Wrinkled skin
RARE SIDE EFFECTS:
- Abnormal healing
- Decrease in height
- Difficulty with moving
- Dry mouth
- Menstrual changes
- Muscle or joint stiffness
- Swelling or redness in the joints
DRUG INTERACTIONS –
Humira has major interactions with 211 different drugs.
MODERATE DRUG INTERACTIONS –
Humira has moderate interactions with 137 different drugs.
- This drug contains inactive ingredients like latex which may result in allergic reactions. So a pharmacist must be consulted before consuming it.
- It is necessary to discuss any medical history related to TB infections, hepatitis B, bone marrow disorders, brain disorders, seizures, heart problems, cancer and lupus.
- The medication is responsible for worsening infections. Wash hands and avoid shaking hands with people having infections like flu, measles.
- Avoid vaccinations and immunizations.
- Avoid contact with people who took vaccination recently.
PREGNANCY AND LACTATION WITH HUMIRA:
- Use of Humira in pregnancy may be acceptable only if the benefits exceed the risks involved.
- Studies in animal pregnancy have shown adverse effects on fetus. But no adequate studies have been found in humans to access the damage involved.
- Humira transfers into breast milk. Preferable precautions must be taken during breast feeding.
- Use of this medication is not considered safe and effective in children below 12 years of age or children below 10 kg weight.
- Keep out of reach of children. In case of overdose, get medical help or contact a Poison Control Center immediately.