08 Jul 2019
Generic Name : CLONIDINE (ORAL)
Clonidine is an antihypertensive anti-adrenergic agent that is used to treat hypertensive blood pressure in individuals. This drug lowers the blood pressure to relax the heart and the circulatory system, so that it may pump slower and with more ease. Some varieties of this drug are used to treat ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder).
- Clonidine is to be taken as directed by the doctors.
- This medicine is generally taken once in the morning and once a night.
- Swallow the oral tablet whole.
- Transdermal patches are available for this drug.
- General Adult Dosage available: Oral tablet – 01.mg, 0.2mg, 0.3mg Epidural infusion – 30mcg/hr, 40mcg/hr
SIDE EFFECTS –
- Loss of appetite
- Dry eyes
RARE SIDE EFFECTS:
- Severe chest pain
- Slow palpitations
- Severe headache
DRUG INTERACTIONS –
- Sodium oxybate
MODERATE DRUG INTERACTIONS –
- Provide the doctor with a detailed and accurate medical history prior to drug prescription. Notify especially in case of heart conditions, arrhythmia, low blood pressure, pheochromocytoma or kidney problems.
- Do not take this drug in case of an allergy.
- Do not nurse while on drug course, as Clonidine may transfer through breast milk and harm a newborn baby.
- Two variations of Clonidine must not be taken at the same time, as it may cause an overdose or a drug interaction.
- Notify the surgeon beforehand, use in case of an approaching surgery.
- Avoid alcohol while on drug course.
- Notify a medical authority in case of severe vomiting, especially if observed in children on drug course.
- Avoid engaging in complicated activities such as
- Keep out of reach of children. The Catapres variation of this drug is not approved for individuals below the age of 18 while the Kapvay variation of the same is not meant for children under the age of 6.
- In case of overdose, get medical help or contact a Poison Control Center immediately. Overdose symptoms may include extremely high blood pressure or a sudden drop in blood pressure, hypothermia, fainting or seizures.