09 Sep 2019
Generic Name : Generic Name : GRANISETRON (ORAL)
Granisetron is a 5HT3 receptor antagonist that prevents the actions of specific chemicals within the body that are responsible for the triggering of nausea/vomiting. This drug is generally used to prevent nausea that may be caused as a result of cancer medication/chemotherapy/radiation.
- Granisetron is to be taken as directed by the doctors. Consume this drug only as prescribed to avoid overdose or other harmful effects. Brand of this drug varies from condition to condition.
- This drug is to be consumed once, on the day of treatment – an hour before procedure.
- Generally, a second dose is administered 12 hours post the first dose in case of continuous chemotherapy.
- General Adult Dosage available:
Oral – 2mg/10mL, 1mg/mL, 1mg
SIDE EFFECTS –
- Stomach pain
- Symptoms of flu
RARE SIDE EFFECTS:
- Severe headache
- Chest pain
- Severe dizziness
- Hypertensive blood pressure
- High levels of serotonin
DRUG INTERACTIONS –
Granisetron has major interactions with 108 different drugs.
MODERATE DRUG INTERACTIONS –
Granisetron has moderate interactions with 179 different drugs.
- Provide the doctor with a detailed and accurate medical history prior to drug prescription. Notify especially in case of illnesses and conditions such as heart conditions, arrhythmia, long QT syndrome, electrolyte imbalances or recent intestinal surgery.
- Do not use this drug in case of an allergy to Granisetron itself.
- Inform the doctor of all the drugs being consumed so as to avoid severe drug interactions. It is possible that this drug can cause harm if taken with certain other antidepressants. Notify especially in case of the consumption of lithium, narcotics, other anti-nausea medications, ritonavir, antidepressants, migraine medications or St. John’s wort.
- Keep out of reach of children. This drug is not approved for individuals under the age of 18.
- Do not ever share this drug with another patient.
- In case of overdose, get medical help or contact a Poison Control Center immediately.