10 Jun 2019
Generic Name : ACETAMINOPHEN
Acetaminophen is a well-trusted staple ingredient in several drugs over the world as an antipyretic or analgetic component. It is a pain reliever medication that is generally used to relieve various mild to moderate pains and aches – ranging from headaches to body aches and even toothaches. It is commonly used for the treatment of fevers and other minor muscle aches. In certain cases, it is even used in the treatment of arthritis. Acetaminophen is used in several combination prescription drugs like Tapanol, Vicks, Vicodin, Zydone, Actifed and Cepacol for its ache and fever reducing qualities.
- Acetaminophen has to be taken as directed by the doctors
- Adult and pediatric dosages:
Tablet: 325mg, 500 mg.
Liquid oral: 160mg/5mL, 500mg/5mL
SIDE EFFECTS –
Diagnosis is usually recommended to –
RARE SIDE EFFECTS:
(These symptoms may prove an allergic reaction to the drug.)
- Upper stomach pain
- Loss of appetite
- Yellowing of urine and discolored clay-like stool
- Allergic reactions – severe skin rash, shortness of breath, exhaustion, swelling offacial areas
DRUG INTERACTIONS –
- Calcium 600 D
- Fish Oil capsules
- Vitamin B12
Acetaminophen has major interactions with at least 14 different drugs.
MILD INTERACTIONS OF ACETAMINOPHEN ARE:
Acetaminophen has moderate interactions with 73 different drugs.
- Consultation and enquiry of medical history must take place before prescribing toAcetaminophen – patients with severe lung disease, alcoholic problems or conditions like cirrhosismust not be administered with this drug.
- Note that there may be other drugs that contain a dosage of acetaminophen – avoid takingthem all at the same time without considering the overdosing that takes place.
- Do not use acetaminophen during pregnancy unless advised – Acetaminophen can transferinto breast milk as well.
- Adults of the weight 110 pounds should not take over a 1000mg of dosage at a time andchildren younger than the age of 12 are not to take over 5 doses of acetaminophen in 24 hours.
- The dosage of acetaminophen for infants is very different from that for adults orchildren. Do not mix prescriptions to avoid fatalities.
- Overdosing of acetaminophen can lead to fatal liver diseases or even death. Avoidoverdosing at all costs and be cautious of the amounts being administered.
- Avoid alcohol during the course of acetaminophen intake, or it may lead to several liverproblems.
- Keep out of reach of children. In case of overdose, get medical help or contact a PoisonControl Center immediately.