10 Jun 2019
Generic Name : FLUTICASONE PROPIONATE AND SALMETEROL XINAFOATE
Advair is a prescription drug composed of Fluticasone – a steroid that prevents inflammation, and Salmeterol – a bronchodilator drug that relaxes the muscles surrounding breathing airways. It is generally found in the form of an aerosol inhaler spray and is used to treat asthmatic conditions in patients. Advair is also used to treat inflammations in the respiratory tract as well as chronic bronchitis, emphysema or internal consequences of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD).
- Advair HFA is for adults and children above the age of 12. Generally available in aerosol form, dosage of the same is two doses of a spray each, per day.
- Each dosage is generally 12 hours apart.
- General strength of inhalation powder for one dosage ranges from 50mcg/100mcg/actuation to 50mcg/500mcg/actuation.
- Shake inhaler 5 seconds before spray, and if unused for a long time, spray twice away from face to test the strength of the inhaler.
- Consult a doctor for strength of dosage, as this may differ depending on the severity of asthmatic condition.
SIDE EFFECTS –
Diagnosis is usually recommended to –
- Runny nose, slight cold
- Dry throat
- Difficulty in swallowing
RARE SIDE EFFECTS:
- Cough with mucus
- White patches in the mouth or on the tongue
- Pain around eyes or cheekbones
- Inflammation of the eyes
- Osteoporosis may occur in individuals who use steroids for long durations of time.
DRUG INTERACTIONS –
Advair has major interactions with at least 67 different drugs.
MILD INTERACTIONS OF ADVAIR ARE:
- Advair can lead to infections in the mouth which may be fungal in nature. To prevent this from happening, rinsing of the mouth with a glass of water (without swallowing) is recommended.
- It is important to be cautious while prescribing Advair to patients with COPD. Depending on the intensity of the inhaler and the condition of the illness, Advair may cause pneumonia in these patients.
- It is important to let the medical authorities know of patient’s medical history before prescribing Advair. In certain cases, Advair may lead to the aggravation of other illnesses – such as glaucoma, heart problems, osteoporosis, diabetes, thyroid disorders or liver disease.
- Advair may transfer through breast milk in nursing women.
- Advair may not affect fetus during pregnancy, but medical authorities are to consider benefit and risk before prescribing any drug in this condition.
- Advair is not a medication meant to rescue asthmatic patients. In case of an attack or seizure, contact medical authorities as soon as possible.
- Constant use of the steroids in Advair can lead to osteoporosis. Regulation of this inhaler as well as consideration of previous drug history is vital to making prescription decisions
- Keep out of reach of children. In case of overdose, get medical help or contact a Poison Control Center immediately.