13 Jun 2019
Generic Name : ALPRAZOLAM
Alprazolam is anxiety or panic disorder management medicine. It is used for short term treatment of GAD (Generalized Anxiety Disorder). It belongs to benzodiazepine class of drugs and causes sedation and nausea. It is administered in patients suffering from panic attacks, depression and those who undergo chemotherapy.
- Alprazolam has to be taken as directed by the doctors.
- Prescribed dosages:
- Tablet: 0.25mg,0.5mg,1mg, 2mg
- Tablet extended release: 0.5mg,1mg, 2mg, 3mg
- Tablet orally disintegrating: 0.25mg, 0.5mg,1mg, 2mg
- Oral solution: 1mg/ml
SIDE EFFECTS –
- Skin rash
- Suicide ideation
- Slurred speech
RARE SIDE EFFECTS:
- Loss of coordination
- Personality disorder
- Deterioration of alertness
- Prolonged use of drug may result in permanent loss of coordination and also coma leading to death.
DRUG INTERACTIONS –
- Alprazolam interacts with various other drugs of same family.
Allopurinol has moderate interactions with at least 15 different drugs.
MILD INTERACTIONS OF ALPRAZOLAM ARE:
- Birth control pills
- Do not drive or work with heavy machinery.
- Avoid alcohol strictly.
- Do not take it in case of allergy.
- If obese consult doctor before administration of drug.
- Highly recommended to avoid its use during pregnancy as it increases congenital deformities in fetus.
- Consult doctor before breastfeeding the infant.
- Upon consummation of alcohol, inform the doctor immediately.
- Dosages shall be strictly prescribed by the physician.
- Do not discontinue the use of drug.
- Keep out of reach of children. In case of overdose, get medical help or contact a Poison Control Center immediately.