10 Jun 2019
Ambien is a hypnotic drug used for treating patients suffering from insomnia. It improves sleep in patients by decreasing sleep latency period and increasing the sleep hours. It decreases the awakenings during sleep. It belongs to the class of hypnotics.
- Ambien is to be taken as per prescription.
- It is available in two forms: Immediate Acting and Extended Release
Tablet: oral -5 mg, 10 mg
Sub-lingual- 5 mg, 10 mg
SIDE EFFECTS –
Diagnosis is usually recommended to –
- Dry mouth
- Sore throat
RARE SIDE EFFECTS:
- Respiratory infection
- Fragile bones
- Sleep walking
- Patient might encounter gastrointestinal difficulties.
- Treatment of aphasia in patients with strokes and improves consciousness problem in Parkinson’s disease
DRUG INTERACTIONS –
MILD INTERACTIONS OF AMBIEN ARE:
- Take an allergy test.
- Do not drink alcohol.
- Not to be consumed under the age of 18.
PREGNANCY AND LACTATION WITH AMBIEN:
- Effects during breastfeeding are not known in infants, although there are traces of drug present in the milk. It is advised to consult the doctor.
- Keep it out of children’s reach.
- Do not overuse as it can be fatal.
- Keep patient under observatory care to avoid sleep walking.