13 Jun 2019
Generic Name : Amiodarone Tablets (Oral)
Amiodarone is antianginal and antiarrhythmic drug used to treat types of irregular heartbeats. It increases the time of ventricular and atrial muscle action. It is used in treatment of ventricular tachycardia, ventricular fibrillation , wide complex tachycardia, atrial fibrillation and paroxysmal supraventricular tachycardia.
- Amiodarone has to be taken as directed by the doctor.
- Prescribed dosage: Tablet:100mg, 200 mg, 400 mg.
- Injection: 50mg/ml, 150mg/100ml, 360mg/200ml
SIDE EFFECTS –
RARE SIDE EFFECTS:
- Interstitial lung disease
- Pulmonary fibrosis
- Cornea verticillata
- Patient can witness thyroid issues.
- Treatment for long term leads to peripheral neuropathies.
- Light grey- blue discoloration in skin can be seen.
DRUG INTERACTIONS –
- Take an allergy test
- Consult doctor before breastfeeding the child.
- Avoid administering the drug during pregnancy, it leads to premature death of the infant.
- Do not stop the drug abruptly
- In case of shortness of breath and hallucinations, consult doctor.
- Keep out of reach of children. In case of overdose, get medical help or contact a Poison Control Center immediately.