13 Jun 2019
Generic Name : AMITRIPTYLINE
Amitriptyline is used in treating patients suffering from depression, neuropathic pain and mental illness. It is also used in prevention of migraine, fibromyalgia, postherpetic neuralgia. It belongs to tricyclic anti-depressant class of drugs and taken orally.
- Amitiza has to be taken as directed by the doctors.
- Prescribed dosage: Tablet:10mg, 25mg and 75 mg
SIDE EFFECTS –
- Weight gain
RARE SIDE EFFECTS:
- Orthostatic hypotension
- Sinus Tachycardia
- QT-interval prolongation
- Treatment for long term leads to peripheral neuropathies.
- Light grey- blue discoloration in skin can be seen.
DRUG INTERACTIONS –
- Take an allergy test.
- Increase intake of water and fluids in patients with history of urinary retention.
- Avoid heavy work.
- Avoid work that includes fine observations straining the eyes.
- Use after consulting the doctor. In controlled medication, there is no risk to fetus.
- Do not breast feed the infant as milk contains the traces of drug which can be harmful to the infant.
- Do not stop the drug abruptly
- Use drug with caution in case of history with cardiovascular problem.
- Consult doctor in case of chest pain.
- Keep out of reach of children. In case of overdose, get medical help or contact a Poison Control Center immediately