12 Jun 2019
Generic Name : AMLODIPINE
Amlodipine is used to treat patients suffering from high blood pressure and coronary artery disease. It has properties of antioxidant that aid in production of nitric oxide that acts as vasodilator lowering the blood pressure. It can also be administered in children of age 6-17. It belongs to class of calcium channel blockers.
- Amlodipine has to be taken as directed by the doctors.
- Prescribed dosage: Tablet: 2.5mg, 5 mg, 10 mg
SIDE EFFECTS –
- Abdominal pain
RARE SIDE EFFECTS:
- Peripheral Edema
- Peripheral Neuropathy
- Patient can witness chest pain, low blood pressure and in rare cases, heart attack.
- Treatment for long term leads to organ damage and stroke.
DRUG INTERACTIONS –
- Take an allergy test.
- Keep hydrated and keep glucose supplements handy.
- Visit dentist regularly in case to tenderness in gums..
- If obese consult doctor before administration of drug.
- Avoid administering this drug during course of pregnancy as it risks the fetus.
- It is advised to avoid taking the drug during breastfeeding the infant.
- Do not stop the drug abruptly
- In case of repetitive hypotension and liver abnormalities, rush to the doctor.
- Keep out of reach of children. In case of overdose, get medical help or contact a Poison Control Center immediately.