04 Jun 2019
Anorexia Nervosa is a psychological influential condition in which an individual is obsessed with weight loss. Due to this fear, the individual usually eat less than normal diet. It can affect people of all ages, gender and ethnicities.
- Biological and genetic factors which naturally give rise to this disorder.
- Depression or anxiety issue.
- Psychological reasons like obsession to become perfectionist.
- Environmental factors like western culture influence on these individuals, peer pressure of looking thin.
RISK FACTORS –
- Family history
- Fluctuation in weight
- Being a teenager and female
- Social media influence
SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS –
- Weight loss
- Drop in blood counts
- Yellowish skin
- Hair loss
- Loss of Appetite
- Vomiting out purposely
- Frequent mood swings
- Menstrual issue
- Physical test – To check height, weight, blood pressure, temperature, pulse rate and compare with the normal ranges
- Lab Tests like CBC, urine analysis
- X- ray for checking stress factor and bone density
- Psychological Test
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
- Medication to control depression
- Hospitalization may be required for patient with severe weight loss, malnutrition
- Upto 70 million people suffer from eating disorder in which Anorexia plays a very major role.
- Females being prone to this, males are generally less affected with this disorder.
- Anorexia Nervosa has the highest mortality rate compared to other eating disorders.