06 Aug 2019
Generic Name : APIXABAN
Apixaban is a Factor Xa inhibitor that is used in patients for preventive treatment of various symptoms from occurring during conditions such as atrial fibrillation or post hip/knee replacement surgery. It lowers risk of stroke caused by blood clots during atrial fibrillation and prevents deep vein thrombosis in the lungs after replacement surgeries. Apixaban is also used to treat pulmonary embolism and to prevent DVT from occurring. This drug works by preventing blood clots within the system.
- Apixaban is to be taken as directed by the doctors. Do not stop taking this drug suddenly unless asked to.
- The oral tablet can be consumed in whole or crushed form. It can be mixed with food or liquid or given through a nasogastric feeding tube for convenience.
- General Adult Dosage available:
Oral tablet – 2.5mg, 5mg
SIDE EFFECTS –
RARE SIDE EFFECTS:
- Unusual bleeding
- Heavy menstrual periods
- Severe headache
- Blood in urine / Pink urine
- Blood in stool
- Spinal blood clot
- Blood in cough
DRUG INTERACTIONS –
Apixaban has major interactions with 113 different drugs.
MODERATE DRUG INTERACTIONS –
Apixaban has moderate interactions with 149 different drugs.
- Provide the doctor a detailed and accurate medical history prior to drug prescription. Notify especially in case of kidney/liver disease, age over 80 years or in case the weight is less than 60 kilograms.
- Follow drug course strictly; do not terminate drug course unless explicitly asked by the doctor, to avoid high risk of stroke or blood clot.
- Do not use this drug in case of an allergy to the drug itself, an artificial heart valve or in case of an active bleeding from injury/surgery.
- Consuming this drug during pregnancy can increase the risk of bleeding, especially during delivery. Consult a doctor regarding drug consumption while pregnant.
- Do not nurse while on drug course.
- Notify surgeons of drug intake in case of upcoming surgery or dental operation.
- This drug can cause severe bleeding from even a minor injury. Avoid dangerous activities that may cause bleeding.
- In case of the usage of spinal anesthesia, this drug can cause serious blood clots around the spinal cord, causing long-term paralysis. This is highly likely especially during the consumption of any type of Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs).
- Keep out of reach of children.
- In case of overdose, get medical help or contact a Poison Control Center immediately.