07 Aug 2019
Generic Name : ATORVASTATIN
Atorvastatin is a medication drug that is generally used to treat high levels of cholesterol and as a preventive medication for strokes, heart conditions such as coronary heart disease as well as heart attacks in type-2 diabetic patients. Classified as a statin (HMH CoA reductase inhibitor), Atorvastin works by lowering the levels of low-density lipoprotein while increasing levels of high-density lipoprotein, thus keeping cholesterol levels healthy and under control.
- Bisacodyl is to be taken as directed by the doctors. Dosage intensity may be subject to change.
- The oral form of the drug is generally taken in its complete form at the same time once every day, with or without food.
- This drug generally takes up to 2 weeks for improvement to be observed.
- Atorvastatin is to be accompanied by a planned out schedule of healthy diets and appropriate amounts of exercise.
- General Adult Dosage available:
Oral tablet – 10mg, 20mg, 40mg, 80mg
SIDE EFFECTS –
- Pain in the joints
- Stuffy nose
- Sore throat
RARE SIDE EFFECTS:
- Kidney failure
- Difficulty urinating
- Loss of appetite
DRUG INTERACTIONS –
Atorvastin has major interactions with 40 different drugs.
MODERATE DRUG INTERACTIONS –
Atorvastin has moderate interactions with 209 different drugs.
- Provide the doctor with a detailed and accurate medical history prior to drug prescription. Notify especially in case of illnesses such as liver / kidney problems, muscle pain, diabetic conditions, thyroid disorder or alcohol abuse.
- Do not consume this drug in case of an allergy to Atorvastatin itself or in case of severe liver disease.
- Stop taking this drug temporarily in the occurrence of seizures, electrolyte imbalance, hypotension, severe illnesses or upcoming surgeries.
- Cooperate with diet and exercise programs that are to be accompanied by the consumption of Atorvastatin. Avoid consuming foods that are high in cholesterol while on drug course.
- Avoid consuming large amounts of alcohol while on drug course.
- Avoid grapefruit while on drug course.
- Provide a detailed drug history to the doctor, to avoid harmful drug interactions as some drugs in combination with Atorvastatin can cause severe muscle pain.
- Do not consume this drug while pregnant or nursing, as it can cause harmful side effects.
- Keep out of reach of children. This drug is for children and adults above the age of 10.
- This drug, under certain conditions (such as hypothyroidism), can cause a rapid breakdown of skeletal muscle tissue – causing severe kidney failure.
- In case of overdose, get medical help or contact a Poison Control Center immediately.