13 Jun 2019
Generic Name : SULFAMETHOXAZOLE AND TRIMETHOPRIM
Bactrim is a drug that contains a combination of two antibiotics, sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim, that are used to treat different types of bacterial infections among which are ear infections, urinary tract infections, shigellosis, bronchitis and others. It is also used to treat a certain kind of pneumonia called Pneumocystis Jiroveci Pneumonia and also traveler’s diarrhea.
- It has to be taken as directed by the doctors.
- Do not stop course unless instructed by doctor, even after improvement of symptoms.
- Drink plenty of water while on course with Bactrim.
- General dosage: Tablet – 80mg/400mg, 160mg/800mg
- An intravenous solution of Bactrim is also available and is only to be administered by a medical authority.
- Single strength tablet to be taken orally, three times a day.
- Dosage may increase in strength based on medical condition of patient. Please follow a doctor’s instructions closely.
SIDE EFFECTS –
RARE SIDE EFFECTS:
- Abdominal pain
- Discolored stools
- Severe nausea
- Sore throat
- Bloody vomit
- Loss of appetite
- Joint pains
- Electrolyte imbalance
- Low blood cell counts
- Severe Diarrhea
- Allergic reactions like breathing difficulties, hives, rashes or swelling of facial areas.
DRUG INTERACTIONS –
MILD INTERACTIONS OF BACTRIM ARE:
- Do not use Bactrim in case of liver diseases, unmonitored kidney disease, anemia or low platelet count.
- Notify doctor of detailed and accurate medical history before drug prescription. Do not use Bactrim if patient is also using Dofetilide.
- Do not use Bactrim if pregnant or breastfeeding.
- Bactrim must not be prescribed to an infant under 2 months.
- Bactrim can lead to easy sun burning. Wear protective clothing and sunscreen while outdoors.
- While on course, drink plenty of water to avoid development of kidney stones.
- While on course, patient may need to submit to frequent medical tests to ensure that the body is not in critical health.
- Use of certain antibiotics can lead to diarrhea. Notify a medical authority in case of severe diarrhea.
- Keep out of reach of children.
- Bactrim may cause severe allergies in rare cases – one of the reactions being anaphylaxis. Report to a medical authority in case of such a reaction, as it may be lethal.
- In case of overdose, get medical help or contact a Poison Control Center immediately. Symptoms of overdose may include loss of appetite, extreme nausea, bloody discharge or swelling.