13 Jun 2019
Generic Name : BUPRENORPHINE (ORAL/BUCCAL)
Belbuca, available in the form of buccal films, is for severe chronic pains that cannot be moderated by other drugs. It is an opioid (a narcotic) that relies on buccal mucosa to spread its medicinal essence as needed, from within the mouth. As a narcotic that may allow a user to spiral into dependence or drug abuse, Belbuca is rarely prescribed for occasional pains – and in the circumstances that it is prescribed, medical authorities are required to refer to several ethical guidelines and calculate risks before drug prescription.
- Strictly follow the instructions of a doctor while using Belbuca. The slightest mishandling can lead to overdose, severe health problems, addiction and even death.
- Belbuca buccal films are to be placed between the gums and the cheek after drinking a whole glass of water.
- The buccal film is generally placed in the mouth every 12 hours.
- Patients are not to drink or eat anything until the buccal film dissolves in the mouth completely.
- Dosage units may go up to 600mcg, 750mcg and even 900mcg following individual titration.
- The intensity of the dosage may differ following a schedule. Follow doctor’s instructions very carefully to avoid overdose.
SIDE EFFECTS –
- Slow breathing
- Dizziness, drowsiness
- Increased amount of sweat
RARE SIDE EFFECTS:
- Extremely slow breathing
- Skin or lips turning blue
- Weak Pulse
- Rapid palpitations
- Opioid withdrawal symptoms such as shivering, sweating, diarrhea, goose bumps
- Decrease in cortisol levels – Exhaustion, nausea, vomiting, dizziness
- Liver problems
DRUG INTERACTIONS –
MILD INTERACTIONS OF RANITIDINE ARE:
- Provide your doctor with a detailed and accurate medical history before drug prescription. Notify a doctor urgently in case of breathing problems, liver or kidney diseases, urinary problems, thyroid problems, seizures or drug addictions.
- Do not use Belbuca in case of allergies to buprenophrine, asthma or bowel obstruction.
- Do not use Belbuca in case patient is pregnant or is breastfeeding. Buprenorphine can make infants dependent on the drug, and can transfer through breast milk.
- Belbuca is not recommended for individuals below the age of 18.
- In case of surgery, notify the doctor beforehand of the use of Belbuca.
- Dispose of medicine cases or leftover medicine.
- Avoid engaging in complicated motor activities while on course with Belbuca.
- Avoid alcohol during course.
- Follow prescription with care. Overdose can lead to fatalities.
- Belbuca is likely to react with several drugs, especially other narcotics. Consult a doctor with an honest medical history and recent drug use history before using Belbuca.
- Keep out of reach of children. Do not, in any case, allow a child to come in contact with Belbuca.
- In case of overdose, get medical help or contact a Poison Control Center immediately. Overdose can be extremely fatal – observe symptoms like rapid palpitations, breathing difficulties, pulse dropping, changing in skin color, blurry vision.