13 Jun 2019
Generic Name : BENZTROPINE
Benztropine is used in treating movement disorders that occur due to certain diseases such as dystonia, tardive dyskinesia and Parkinsonism. It relives the tremors and is useful in alleviating rigidity and bradykinesia. It also controls extrapyramidal disorders caused due to neuroleptic drugs. It is a tropane based dopamine inhibitor type of drug belonging to class Anticholinergic.
- Benztropine has to be taken as directed by the doctors.
- Prescribed dosage: Tablet: 2 mg Liquid: 1 mg Injection: 1mg/1ml
SIDE EFFECTS –
- Dry Mouth
- Blurry Vision
- Urinary Retention
- Sweat Impairment
RARE SIDE EFFECTS:
- Tardive Dyskinesia
- The patient might witness excessive drowsiness.
- Regular heat strokes may occur
- The long term treatment leads to weakening of muscles.
- Extreme weight loss may be observed.
DRUG INTERACTIONS –
MILD INTERACTIONS OF BENZTROPINE ARE:
- Avoid alcohol as it will raise drowsiness.
- Keep a regular check on the cardiac rhythm.s
- With a history of glaucoma, go for alternative drugs.
- Regularly move the body to strengthen the muscles.
PREGNANCY AND LACTATION WITH BENZTROPINE:
- The sufficient readings aren’t available.
- The consultation of a doctor before breastfeeding is a must. The drug might affect the production of milk.
- Do not stop the drug abruptly
- Avoid driving after the consuming drug as its drowsiness effect might be risky.