14 Jun 2019
Generic Name : CLARITHROMYCIN
Biaxin belongs to the macrolide antibiotics class of drugs. It is used in the treatment of several bacterial infections such as strep throat, pneumonia, skin infections, lyme disease and other infections. It blocks the synthesis of protein by binding to the 50s unit of the ribosome. It might stop the bacterial growth or end the bacteria depending on the bacteria and the type of infection caused.
- Biaxin has to be taken as directed by the doctors.
- Prescribed dosage: Tablet: 250 mg, 500 mg Granule(for suspension): 125 mg/5ml , 250mg/5ml
SIDE EFFECTS –
- Abdominal pain
- Metallic taste
- Abnormal liver function
RARE SIDE EFFECTS:
- Renal failure
- Liver failure
- The patient can witness alteration in the sense of smell and taste.
- The patients generally suffer from movement inability and loss in the sense of motion.
- Treatment for long term leads to hepatitis.
- The patient may suffer from Chronic Renal Dysfunction.
DRUG INTERACTIONS –
MILD INTERACTIONS OF BIAXIN ARE:
- Take an allergy test for macrolide as allergen.
- Take mild food to prevent ulcers.
- Do not overdose as it results in gastric problems.
- Do not use it for treating viral infections.
PREGNANCY AND LACTATION WITH BIAXIN:
- Consult a doctor before breastfeeding the child.
- Do not breastfeed the infant without consultation as it retards the growth of the infant.
- Avoid administration of the drug during the pregnancy as it results in poor fetal development, congenital diseases, cleft palate and even death.
- Do not stop the drug abruptly
- In the case of shortness of breath and hallucinations, consult a doctor.
- If overdosed, try vomiting it out and consult a doctor.
- Keep out of reach of children. In case of overdose, get medical help or contact a Poison Control Center immediately.