14 Jun 2019
Generic Name : BICTEGRAVIR
Biktarvy is an investigational drug which is studied by using in the treatment of HIV-1 and HIV-2 infections. It comes in tablet form for oral consumption. The wisest approach is antiretroviral therapy. In this therapy, the drug is administered in virologically suppressed patients for three months without any missing out of dose. It belongs to the Integrase Strand Transfer Inhibitor (INSTI) of drugs.
- Biktarvy has to be taken as directed by the doctor.
- Prescribed dosage: Tablet: Bictegravir 50 mg, Emtricitabine 200 mg, Tenofovir Alafenamide 25 mg
SIDE EFFECTS –
- Dry skin
- Abdominal pain
RARE SIDE EFFECTS:
- Elevated hepatic enzymes
- Interstitial nephritis
- Hepatic failure
- Lactic acidosis
- The patient can witness weakening of bones and muscle.
- The patient may acquire infections easily.
- Treatment for long term leads to severe liver toxicity and failure of organs.
- The worse effects may include nephritis.
DRUG INTERACTIONS –
MILD INTERACTIONS OF BIKTARVY ARE:
- Take an allergy test.
- Keep moving to strengthen muscles and bones.
- Take immune boosters regularly.
PREGNANCY AND LACTATION WITH BIKTARVY:
- It is advised to stop the drug during pregnancy and lactation as it is fatal to the developing baby along with the passing of infection postnatal.
- Do not stop the drug abruptly
- In case of long duration numbness, consult doctor.
- Keep a check on bone density regularly.
- Keep out of reach of children. In case of overdose, get medical help or contact a Poison Control Center immediately.