Filter By Category
Fibromyalgia is a musculoskeletal pain which affects the soft tissues of the body. In this condition, pain is accompanied with fatigue, sleep, mood and memory issues. Research shows that it also affects the way brain process, increase the levels of certain chemicals which signals pain due to which pain receptors become more sensitive towards it. It may begin after physical trauma, surgery, infection or stress. These patients also go through tension, headaches, Temporomandibular joint (TMJ) disorder, irritable bowel syndrome, anxiety and depression.
- Genetic factors
- Body infections
- Physical or emotional trauma
- Repetitive injuries
- Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Central Nervous System(CNS) problems
SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS -
- Widespread pain which remains for at least 3 months
- Pain and tiredness in muscles
- Fatigue and dizziness
- Sleeping disorders
- Fibro-fog refers to difficulty in focusing, concentrating and memorizing
- Stiff joints
- Irritable bowel syndrome
- Sensitivity to heat or cold conditions
- Diagnosis is done on the basis of symptom i.e. widespread pain for more than 3 months with no underlying medical cause.
- Specific points of body reflecting pain are also considered.
- Level of fatigue, difficulty in sleeping and cognitive difficulties
- Blood test
- Medications – Pain relievers and antidepressants
- Physiotherapy or massage
- Psychotherapy or counseling
- Chiropractic therapy
RISK FACTORS –
- Family history
- Other existing health issues like Rheumatoid Arthritis or Lupus
- Fibromyalgia affects 1 in 20 people globally in year.
- More prevalent in females than males.