Filter By Category
Generic Name :HYDROMORPHONE
Hydromorphone belongs to a group of drugs which are commonly called as opioid analgesics. It is used by the patients to remove the sensation of moderate to severe pain in the body. It works by controlling brain’s responses to pain.
- Hydromorphone has to be taken as directed by the doctors.
- Adult and pediatric dosages: Oral Tablets: 2 to 4 mg orally every 4 to 6 hours as needed Oral Liquid: 2.5 to 10 mg orally every 3 to 6 hours as needed IM or Subcutaneous: 1 mg to 2 mg every 2 to 3 hours as needed IV: Initial dose: 0.2 mg to 1 mg IV every 2 to 3 hours as needed
SIDE EFFECTS –
- Blurred vision
- Rapid breathing
- Changes in behavior
- Mood or mental changes
- Wrinkled skin
- Severe stomach pain
- Sunken eyes
- Suicidal thoughts
- Chest pain or discomfort
- Decreased urination
- Dry mouth
- Irregular heartbeats
RARE SIDE EFFECTS:
- Back pain
- Muscle spasms
- Pain in the arms or legs
- Stomach discomfort
- Trouble concentrating
- Unusual weight gain or loss
DRUG INTERACTIONS –
MODERATE DRUG INTERACTIONS –:
- This drug contains inactive ingredients which may result in allergic reactions. So a pharmacist must be consulted before consuming it.
- It is necessary to discuss any medical history related to kidney and liver problems, problems in breathing, mood disorders, personal history of substance use, stomach problem, diarrhea, constipation, gall bladder problems and thyroid.
- Since this drug makes a person dizzy so activities like driving and others which need more attention should be avoided.
- Use of this drug show more sensitive symptoms on adults like confusion, drowsiness, or constipation.
- Avoid consumption of alcoholic beverages
PREGNANCY AND LACTATION WITH HYDROCORTISONE:
- Use of Hydromorphone in pregnancy may be acceptable only if the benefits exceed the risks involved.
- Studies in animal pregnancy have shown adverse effects on fetus. But no adequate studies have been found in humans to access the damage involved.
- Hydromorphone transfers into breast milk. Preferable precautions must be taken during breast feeding.
- Breast-feeding while using this drug might result in adverse symptoms among infants like trouble breathing and unexplained sleepiness.
- Diabetic patients should use this drug with more caution as its products has sugar in it.
- Keep out of reach of children. In case of overdose, get medical help or contact a Poison Control Center immediately.