27 Jun 2019
Generic Name : FLUTICASONE AND VILANTEROL
Breo Ellipta is a commonly used bronchodilator combination drug to treat patients with asthma or COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease) and to prevent asthma attacks or bronchospasm. It is a combination of two drug components – fluticasone (a steroid drug that prevents inflammation-causing releases) and vilanterol (a bronchodilator component that relaxes muscles in the airway for ease of breathing). It is a daily medication used in the short-term treatment of asthma and the long-term treatment of COPD. Breo Ellipta is categorized under ‘Bronchodilator Combinations’.
- Breo Ellipta is to be taken as directed by the doctors.
- Dosage may differ in intensity and strength, depending on the condition. Consult doctor for the strength of each dose.
- Breo Ellipta is available in the form of inhalation powder with an inhalation device and blister packs.
- General Adult Prescription – Breo Ellipta 100/25 (to be taken once per day, at the same time every day)
SIDE EFFECTS –
- Joint pain
- Back pain
- High blood pressure
- Sore throat
- Runny nose
- Change in voice
RARE SIDE EFFECTS:
- Cramps in various joints
- Chest congestion
- High fever
- Sores or patches in the mouth
- Difficulty in urination
- Hormonal disorders
DRUG INTERACTIONS –
- Cocaine nasal
MODERATE DRUG INTERACTIONS –
- Provide detailed and accurate medical history before drug prescription especially in case of allergies to the drug or to milk proteins, glaucoma, heart diseases, liver disease, thyroid problems, seizures, diabetes, osteoporosis or any bacterial infection.
- Breo Ellipta can weaken the immune system. Keep patient safe and hygienic in all daily routines. Keep patient away from infections.
- Co-operate with frequent lung function tests that may take place while on drug course.
- Dispose the inhaler after 6 weeks of use or if the powder has emptied.
- Rinse mouth after using inhaler to avoid fungal infections.
- It is not a rescue medication. This medicine cannot be depended upon for quick relief or emergency attacks.
- Prolonged use of Breo Ellipta can lead to glaucoma, cataract, impotence or menstrual problems.
- Prolonged use of Breo Ellipta can lead to osteoporosis, especially in case of smoking habits, sedentary lifestyle and lack of calcium or Vitamin D.
- Keep out of reach of children. This drug is not recommended for individuals below the age of 18.
- In case of overdose, get medical help or contact a Poison Control Center immediately. Symptoms may include chest pain, rapid palpitation, difficulty in breathing and shaky motor skills.