27 Jun 2019
Generic Name : TICAGRELOR
Brilinta is a drug that is generally used to prevent unwanted blood clots from occurring in patients who are recovering from a heart bypass surgery or a stent fixture. It is used in combination with drugs like aspirin to lower chances of stroke, heart problems or sudden death just after an attack. Classified as a ‘Platelet Aggression Inhibitor’, Brilinta works by preventing platelets in the blood stream from sticking together and causing an arterial block.
- Brilinta is to be taken as directed by the doctors. It is generally taken with Aspirin (proportionately). Consult a doctor as to how much aspirin should be taken with Brilinta.
- Oral tablet can be swallowed whole or crushed and consumed with water.
- General Adult Dosage available: Loading dose – 180mg Maintenance dose – 90mg (twice a day, for one year)
- Maintenance dose may change after a year, in strength and intensity. Contact a medical authority for more details.
SIDE EFFECTS –
- Difficulty in breathing
- Tightness in the chest
RARE SIDE EFFECTS:
- Swelling of breast in females
- Sore breasts in females
- Back pain
- Dizzy spells
- Easy bruising
- Discoloured urine or stool
DRUG INTERACTIONS –
MODERATE DRUG INTERACTIONS –
- Provide detailed and accurate medical before drug prescription. Notify doctor especially in case of – allergies to the drug, stroke, heart problems, cholesterol problems, excessive bleeding, stomach ulcers, liver diseases, kidney diseases, respiratory diseases or recent surgery.
- Notify drug history for medication to treat flu, cold or other allergies or even antifungal medication.
- Do not use Brilinta in case of bleeding trouble or a history of internal bleeding. Notify a doctor regarding such history.
- Avoid alcohol while on an aspirin course.
- Do not stop course unless advised to, even in case of bleeding. Consult your doctor regarding the bleeding and take measures as advised.
- Follow prescription and doctor’s advice carefully. In certain cases, such as before a surgical procedure, you may need to stop the course for a short period. Consult your doctor regarding the same, if and when necessary.
- Brilinta can lead to easy bleeding. Beware of bruising or cutting around patient’s skin. Keep patient away from hazardous objects.
- High amounts of aspirin can render Brilinta ineffective. Remember to follow doctor’s prescriptions regarding combination proportions.
- In case of internal bleeding, severe pains or bloody discharge, contact an emergency helpline immediately to avoid fatalities.
- Keep out of reach of children.
- In case of overdose, get medical help or contact a Poison Control Center immediately.