28 Jun 2019
Generic Name : BUMETANIDE (ORAL/INJECTION)
Bumetanide, popularly advertised as Bumex, is a loop diuretic that is used to treat edema in patients that suffer from liver diseases, kidney disorders (such as nephrotic syndrome) and congestive heart failure. It is an antihypertensive diuretic that causes increased excretion of wastes that include water, sodium, chloride, magnesium, phosphate and calcium.
- Bumetanide is to be taken as directed by the doctors. In certain cases, some potassium supplements may be added to the course.
- The Bumetanide injection is given into a muscle, or given as an infusion into the vein.
- General Adult Dosage available: Tablet – 0.5mg, 1mg, 2mg Injection – 0.25mg/mL
SIDE EFFECTS –
- Muscle cramps
- Low blood pressure
- Abdominal pain
- Irregular palpitations
- Increased hunger and thirst
- Loss of Appetite
- Mood swings
- Unexplained weight loss
RARE SIDE EFFECTS:
- Back pain
- Bleeding gums
- Chest pain
- Bloody urine or stool
- Weight loss
DRUG INTERACTIONS –
MODERATE DRUG INTERACTIONS –
- Provide a detailed and accurate medical history before drug prescription. Notify doctor especially in case of – arrhythmia, liver or kidney disease, gout, allergies to sulfa-drugs or in case you are on a low-salt diet.
- Stick to the doctor’s prescribed schedule strictly. In some cases, Bumetanide is a one-time-use drug and may not come with a schedule. Do not take more than one dose at a time.
- Do not consume Bumetanide in case of an allergy to the drug, difficulties in urinating, kidney problems, severe liver cirrhosis, dehydration or severe electrolyte imbalance.
- Let the doctor know in case you take medication such as lithium, indomethacin, digoxin, blood pressure medication or any other diuretic.
- Bumetanide leads to frequent urination and dehydration. Remain hydrated regularly while on drug course.
- Keep out of reach of children.
- In case of overdose, get medical help or contact a Poison Control Center immediately. Symptoms of overdose may include vomiting, loss of appetite, confusion or extreme weakness or dizziness.