07 Jun 2019
Candidiasis is a fungal infection caused by a yeast, Candida Albicans which gets accumulated at the lining of the mouth known as Oral Thrush. The organism is already present inside the body and can be found in the throat, gut, mouth and vagina. It is harmless unless it overgrows and cause infections. It is creamy white in texture and appears on the tongue or inner cheeks. It is not major as a disease but it affects the weakened immune systems which is then difficult to control.
- Candida infections in the mouth, throat, and esophagus
- Vaginal Candidiasis
- Invasive Candidiasis
- Overuse of antibiotics
- Avoid intake of steroids
- Birth control pills can affect vaginal infection
- Pregnancy can increase the level of estrogen giving rise to yeast infection
SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS –
- Oral thrush –White creamy patches inside the mouth, tongue, palate and around the lips too
- Esophagitis –Difficulty in swallowing may also cause chest pain.
- Cutaneous candidiasis –Appearance of red patches on warm, moist and weepy skin such as on armpits and groin
- Vaginal yeast infections –Pain or itches on vaginal area, pain during sexual intercourse, burning sensation while urination, vaginal discharge
- Deep Candidiasis –This is when candida spreads to blood stream which may result into fever and multiple organ failure.
- Physical examination
- Microscope testing to detect the vaginal infection
- Endoscope is an instrument which is inserted into the throat for examining the esophagus infection.
- Blood sample to detect Candida Fungi
- Antifungal medications and drugs
- Antifungal powders and creams
- Intravenous anti-fungal drug for deep candidiasis
- Keep the skin neat, clean and dry
- Healthy lifestyle and diet
- Control blood sugar levels specifically for diabetic individuals
- 30-40% of adults and children are estimated to get affected from oral candidiasis.
- 75% of the females are affected with vaginal yeast infections in the western hemisphere.